Hamadryad, Canada-Quebec ***Inactive***


Progressive rock

Facebook

Bandcamp

Latest release: The Black Hole (2017)

The band is still posting so we'll assume they haven't completely called it a day. But they haven't played in many years.

Safe in Conformity (2005)

Hamadryad's second album primarily swirls around the mid 70s Genesis era of Trick of the Tail. There's the faux mellotron, familiar Collins-esque vocals, and Hackett styled guitar. There's also some muscular early 70s heavy prog in the Uriah Heep sense of the word. And the other diversion is about two-thirds of the way through, where they go all-in Rush but with a bit of prog metal thrown in. It's definitely a shoehorn, but it adds diversity on a continuous listen. Safe in Conformity is the kind of album that grows in stature with time, as it has done with me. A keeper.

---6/1/20

Conservation of Mass (2001)

I have quite a few albums in the collection that I'm most excited to hear - many of them I anticipate are better than I have them rated. This is yet another album I haven't heard since it first came out. So 22 years later we have our second visit. I'm much more familiar with their follow up effort Safe in Conformity. My notes for that album are above.

On their debut, Hamadryad start with a heavier Rush like sound and move gradually over to Yes, rather than Genesis. It's a busy album with lots of time changes, harmonies, instrumentation, and a myriad of ideas. There's much to absorb here. I listened twice in a row, thus tripling my familiarity lol. Easy +1 listen and my self-prophesy of the album being higher rated than I had it was fulfilled.

---12/24/23

12/24/23 (new entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sacri Monti, USA-California

Retro prog; Heavy psych Facebook Bandcamp Latest: Retrieval (2024) to be released Jul 26. Sacri Monti (2015) Sacri Monti are a new band from...