Arabs in Aspic, Norway


Retro prog hard rock

Facebook

Bandcamp

Latest album: The Magic of Sin (2023). Released Dec 1.

Pictures in a Dream (2013)

Robert Fripp has stated that Larks' Tongues in Aspic means: "Something precious which is stuck, but visible. Something precious which is encased in form."  So with that heady bit of insight, it's obvious to me that Arabs in Aspic means... yea, I have no idea either. [shrug]

But what is "in aspic" is the band's ability to recreate the sounds of the 1970s. Specifically the American FM sound of 1975 and '76. Despite being from Norway, Arabs in Aspic are yet another band that would fit well in my USA Midwest / Ontario Progressive Rock (1970's/early 80s) list. Sounds odd doesn't it? Well... it's not as strange as it may first appear.

In 1990, in my European backpacking days, I was on an overnight train from Oslo to Bergen. And I befriended a nice looking couple who I thought might be American. They didn't look American (jeans and white tennis shoes were still strictly the provenance of Americans in those days), but they sure did sound like it. So I ventured into conversation with them - both college kids and only a few years younger than I at the time. They went on to explain that they not only learn English, but "American English" in school. Crap - they spoke the language better than I did (do)!

So a band from Norway being able to immerse themselves completely into the American mindset isn't that far fetched at all. Note I said the FM sound of America - not just bands from the USA. To me Arabs in Aspic have carved a niche out of something very familiar - somewhere between Pink Floyd, Kansas, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Led Zeppelin. It's a fascinating blend - like mixing a new drink with common ingredients.

Sure, you say, but most of those bands were British and they were popular everywhere, right? True. But Arabs in Aspic remind me of those US bands that tried, successfully or unsuccessfully, to copy them. A deep diver may call out other 70s Norwegian bands like Host, Aunt Mary, or Ruphus, but that's not it... I hear the music here as something created in North America - not in Europe. Even more so than Black Bonzo, who came close, but still sounded "English". Seriously.

(Of note, they threw in two tracks with Norwegian vocals, that completely changes the tone of the music. For me, I'd like to hear more of this trend.)

To approach the album properly, I would probably avoid thinking of it as "progressive rock". More like "classic rock".

9/4/13 (new entry)

2 comments:

  1. "Pictures in a Dream" is their best Tom. If you need one album of them, let be it. And I completely agree with your FM cum "proggy" label. To my ears they are the absolute 1975-77 revival band... On moderate doses they can be very enjoyable but I cannot picture myself listening to more than one album of theirs in a row...

    ReplyDelete

Blues Pills, Sweden

Blues rock; Hard rock Facebook Latest: Birthday (2024) to be released Aug 2 I quite liked their first album, not so much the second. I need ...