Entity, Italy


Neo Italian prog

Latest: Il Naufragio della Speranza (2024)

Il Falso Centro (2013)

Two years after the release of Entity's debut Il Falso Centro, I purchased the CD along with four other contemporary Italian prog albums (the others were by Astrolabio, Aurora Lunare, Locus Amoenus, and Marchesi Scamorza). That's a lot of intense music in a short period of time. Entity was the last one to click, some nine years later. But why? On the surface Il Falso Centro is pitch perfect by-the-numbers prog rock as only the Italians know how to do. The dynamic and meter changes; the passionate instrumental and vocal sections.The retro instrumentation (mostly modern variations to emulate the sound). Respected writers on ProgArchives are gushing in their praise, and reference check some of the greatest 1970s bands from Italy. What else could you possibly want? 

Well.... I want something to stick, that's one thing. Last night's listen was to be the feature, an album I will focus on and nothing else. But my mind started to wander as the music began to develop. I started researching other things on the internet. By the fourth number I was enjoying what I was hearing before realizing that a half hour had blown by and I still had no idea what I was listening to. I stopped the music and started again. Closed my eyes and tried to process every note. Objectively speaking Entity have a great understanding of the genre. But perhaps it is too well studied, a doctorate dissertation of Italian prog. As the album unfolded more gems began to shine and I was finally immersed into its contents. I was battling the perception of "too much of the same thing" from a collection perspective. And maybe that still holds true. But that "same thing" is a sound that I cherish.

---8/19/24

7/4/24 (new entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio Massacre International, England

Berlin School Electronic; Space rock Facebook Bandcamp Latest: Galactic Furnace (2024). To be released in October Rain Falls in Grey (2007) ...