Skip to main content

November 2016 Roundup

And we arrive in late November. We'll jump quickly to the personal situation, and then wrap-up. Fortunately I did secure a position at the beginning of the month, as indicated last month. It's a global director role, which requires extensive travel - not only internationally but also to Baltimore, where the company is based. It's a huge responsibility that I've taken on, which is exactly what I strove for. As such, I need to "put the toys away" for awhile. Free time now comes at a premium. I was fortunate to start near the Thanksgiving holiday, which is allowing me to close out a few things in the interim. We also have the Christmas season around the corner, and that should allow me a bit more time to play around. But otherwise, I'll need to go silent for a bit. None of this stops me from collecting and listening (much abbreviated perhaps), but the more "time consuming" projects will need to be put on ice for now. A couple of weeks ago, I sent out a note to the Purple Peak Records d-list delaying the sale into early next year. The sale is completely built and ready to go. I just need a free non-holiday weekend to host it.

A few quick updates, minus hyperlinks, and off I go. I plan on being back in December with a similar quick update.

I also hope to get a few more postings up on here during the weekends, as well as on UMR.

----New albums of interest to be released soon

3rd Ear Experience - Stones of a Feather (USA). Nov 21. UTR A-List band. Excellent space rock band that I've yet to feature.

Accordo dei Contrari - Violato Intatto (Italy). UTR A-List band.

Dungen - Haxan (Sweden). Nov 25. UTR A-List band.

Gosta Berlings Saga - Sersophane (Sweden). Dec 16. UTR A-List band.

Pocket Size (Stockholm) - Vemood (Sweden). Dec 1 (LP only). UTR A-List band.

Shaman Elephant - Crystals (Norway). Dec 9. Don't know this band but the description reads very well, so I'll probably buy it sound unheard.

Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother (Italy). Dec 17. UTR A-List band.

----UTR A-List band albums that are here (or on the way) but haven't heard yet

Corima - Amaterasu (USA) I'm very excited about this one!

Corsair - One Eyed Horse (USA) A really cool proggy hard rock band from Virginia. I haven't featured them yet, but hope to eventually. Another one of those great Shadow Kingdom bands that are flying way too far under the radar. I'm way behind myself.

Elephant9 - Silver Mountain (Norway)

Eye - Vision and Ageless Light (USA)

Goat - Requiem (Sweden)

Humus - Whispering Galleries (Mexico) This is from 1999, and was released on LP only (in Italy), but I finally secured one. I have a rip on CD-R, so I guess technically I've heard it.

Iron Maiden - Book of Souls (England) Haha - well, I never got around to buying it until now.

Patchwork Cacophony - Fire of Cups (England) Ben Bell's latest work promises to be great!

Purson - Desire's Magic Theatre (England)

Sammal - s/t (Finland) This is the debut album. We've already featured the second.

Sun Dial - Mind Control (England) First released on LP in 2012, now on CD via Sireena of Austria.

Syd Arthur - Apricity (England) The reviews have been middling to great, but I have hope.

Vespero - Lique Mekwas (Russia) I have a large posting ready to go for this incredibly great band. But I've been waiting to hear this new one... forever it seems.

Wolf People - Ruins (England) Another one I'm very excited about based on the early reviews.

various artists - Trip Wave 2 (Russia) From Trail Records. The first comp was awesome. Cannot wait to hear what else they came up with.

----Hopeful UTR A-List band albums that are here (or on the way) but haven't heard yet

These are bands I've never heard before, but the descriptions read most promising.

Avatarium - The Girl With the Raven Mask (Sweden) I'm a big Candlemass fan, and this seems to point to our progressive world mixed in. Hoping for great things here.

Bocca Della Verita - Avenoth (Italy)

Experimental Q2 - Reflux (Romania) 2014 album from the superb 70s band once known as Experimental Quintet. I've been completely negligent in reviewing this one. (Update: Turns out this album is an archival release from 1978. Nevermind! It's quite good though).

Cary Grace - Tygerland (England) One of the primary reasons why I stopped taking promos. I discovered this in a pile a year after she sent it. I'm very sorry Cary! I owe you big time.

Messenger - Illusory Blues (England)

Promenade - Noi Al Dir Di Noi (Italy) 

Zhaoze - Intoxicatingly Lost (China) Well, I called it didn't I? China is the next big thing in progressive rock. Another promo that I've been entirely negligent about. Sorry Alex!

----UTR A-List band albums that I've heard recently but with no notes to speak of

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight (USA) Fantastic new album from the band that pretty much invented prog metal, before the term became bastardized.

Legend - The Dark Place (England) This album was released in 2013, but wanted to call it out anyway. They really snuck this one in didn't they? This is the Legend from Jersey, perhaps the greatest of the original NWOBHM bands. And this new one is just as great. Don't miss it.

Manilla Road - The Blessed Curse (USA) One of my all-time favorite metal bands. Love that epic style. I first bought Crystal Logic in 1983 (still have that LP copy) and every album since and before. Mark Shelton continues on wonderfully with his unique vision. I really need to get a page up for them.

Synaptik - The Mechanisms of Consequence (England) Incredible tech thrash formed from the ashes of the equally great and obscure Inner Sanctum. Alan Tecchio (Watchtower) guests on vocals.

Tusmorke - Fort Bak Lyset (Norway). 3rd album and a nice return to form. And I like that they exploited their "Norwegianness" this time. I hope to update their entry here eventually.

----UTR albums that I still need to purchase as if I actually have time to hear them...

Consorzio Acqua Potabile - Coraggio e Mistero (Italy) New album with Alvaro Fella (Jumbo!) on vocals. This could be very special.

Cherry Five - Il Pozzo Dei Giganti (Italy)

Delirium - L'Era della Menzogna (Italy) One of my favorites of all the 70's Italian bands

Electric Orange - Misophonia (Germany) New one. Auto-buy

Fatal Fusion - 3 albums (Norway) Haven't heard but they come recommended

Il Fauno di Marmo - Canti, racconti e battaglie (Italy) Been out for awhile, just haven't picked it up yet

Flor de Loto - Árbol De La Vida (Peru) Hopefully they're dropping the metal (not their forte I'm afraid) and going back to the psychedelic. Wait and see.

Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue (Italy) Auto-buy

Kaipa DaCapo - Dårskapens Monotoni (Sweden) I definitely want this

Korai Orom - 2013 (Hungary) I fell asleep on this band. Always reliable.

Mad Fellaz - II (Italy) I really enjoyed the debut. Need to get a page up

Marchesi Scamorza - Hypnophonia (Italy) Another band whose debut is excellent

Merry Go Round - s/t (Italy) I'm a sucker for hard rocking prog bands

Moogg - Italian Luxury Style (Italy) Auto-buy

Sun Dial - Made in the Machine (England) Just came out

Supay - Senales (Peru) Another quality A-list band I feel asleep on. This is already 3 years old!

The Winstons - s/t (Italy) Haven't heard but comes recommended

Witchwood - both albums (Italy) Haven't heard but they come recommended

Wucan - Sow the Wind (Germany) Haven't heard but comes recommended

Zanov - Open Worlds (France)

And there's way more than this that I've just tabled for now.

---

All of the above is in addition to all the great reissues, archival releases, and originals from the classic LP era that I feature on UMR. Too much stuff....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homunculus Res, Italy

News: According to a post in January, the band are working on their 3rd album. Recordings are planned to done by April and released later in the year. Excellent news!

Facebook Samples
Location: Palermo, Sicily

Overview: Homunculus Res is a tremendous new Canterbury styled band from Italy that have perfectly captured the spirit of another era. Brilliantly mixing melody and complexity, with a jazzy undertone.

Reviews (click on album covers)


La Bocca della Verita, Italy

News: The band is active and playing the odd festival and concert. No word on a new album as of yet.

Facebook Samples
Location: Rome

Overview: La Bocca della Verita are a fine neo Italian progressive band. Their debut album was recorded in 2009, but not released until 2016.

UMR Notes

Unreal City, Italy

News: New album was released as promised on Sept. 10 and is titled Frammenti Notturni.

Website Facebook Samples
Location: Parma, Emilia-Romagna

Overview: Unreal City are yet another band from Italy who are recreating the classic style of the early 1970s. And honestly, there cannot be too many bands in this style as far as I'm concerned.

UMR Notes

Patchwork Cacophony / Ben Bell, England

News: Currently, Ben Bell is playing keyboards for a prog folk / neo prog band called Gandalf's Fist, who I'm not familiar with even though they have no less than 7 releases already under their belt. Patchwork Cacophony's second album Ace of Cups was released in 2016. I do have it here and have heard it, but haven't put down any notes as of yet. It's a bit more "poppy" if I can use that word, a bit more towards Alan Parsons Project maybe. Still very good. I need more time with it to be sure. 

Website Samples Facebook
Location: London

Overview: Keyboard man Ben Bell was the driving force behind the Fusion Orchestra reunion album of 2013. Since that time, he's released two successful progressive rock albums somewhere between Mike Oldfield, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, and yes, Fusion Orchestra.

UMR notes

Electric Orange, Germany

News: Electric Orange have announced their latest album EOXXV, as a 3LP Deluxe Box and as a 2CD set. They state: "6 longtracks, recorded in the Studio Fleisch between 2013-2017, the band presents their interpretation of modern, electronically-driven Krautrock. As usual the album was mastered by Krautrock legend Eroc."

Website Facebook Samples Location: Aachen
Overview: Electric Orange are the preeminent Krautrock revivalists, having reborn the style going back to 1992 They experimented with electronica early in their career, but since 2001's Abgelaufen! album, Electric Orange have stayed true to the cause.
UMR notes

Wobbler, Norway

News: Wobbler have announced their latest album From Silence to Somewhere which is due out by Oct 20th.

Facebook Samples
Location: Hønefoss (NW of Oslo)

Overview: Wobbler are a retro prog band from Norway who initially followed in the footsteps of Anglagard and Sinkadus, and have since moved onto the sounds of early Yes. Wobbler are as good as it gets for the style. Superb band.

UMR Notes

Manilla Road, USA

News: Manilla Road have released their 15th studio album (not counting archival and live) To Kill a King on June 30th. The reviews have been very positive. This is a must pick up for me.

Website Facebook
Location: Wichita, Kansas

Overview: Manilla Road's legacy is now long cemented. Basically they are credited with popularizing, if not inventing, what we now call Epic Metal. My own history with them goes back to while I was still in high school in 1983... so I've got nearly 35 years invested in the band. Not sure there's anyone else with that kind of longevity that has really mattered to me in modern times - well I guess Iron Maiden goes back even further with me - but that's a rare breed. Long ago, a buddy and I even visited Mark Shelton at his house in Wichita in 1991, after he had folded the first phase of the band. He reformed The Road in 2001 with Atlantis Rising and hasn't looked back since. Their second go round has a longer tenure than the first! And they con…

Il Tempio delle Clessidre, Italy

News: Il Tempio delle Clessidre's 3rd album Il Ludere was released in May.

Website Facebook Samples
Location: Genoa

Overview: Il Tempio delle Clessidre's debut is one of the finer new retro Italian progressive rock in the landscape today. Lead by the beautiful keyboardist Elisa Montaldo, Il Tempio delle Clessidre is the classic five piece Italian band working their way through increasingly complex compositions, but with melody and passion.

UMR notes

Phlox, Estonia

News: Phlox's 4th album Keri was released in May. Another album I need to investigate soon.

Facebook Website Samples
Location: Tallinn

Overview: Phlox are a band that play in the VERY heavy fusion category (no metal though). Hard driving, fast, complicated and downright exhilarating. A 6 piece group with guitar, sax, Moog, and electric piano being the primary solo components.

UMR notes

Quantum Fantay, Belgium

News: Quantum Fantay released their 7th full length studio album Tessellation Of Euclidean Space in mid July. This is a title I'm very much looking forward to hearing. 
Facebook
Location: Lokeren (between Ghent and Antwerp)

Overview: Flemish group Quantum Fantay, lead by synthesist Pieter Van den Broeck (Pete Mush), are from the latest crop of new bands to play in the post You era Gong style. Following in the footsteps of Ozric Tentacles, Hidria Spacefolk, and Korai Orom, Quantum Fantay are on the heavier side of the continuum. Like Ozric, they embrace the raucous Moog sequencing that is also prominent is some areas of electronica. But Quantum Fantay stop short of techno, and use regular rock structures and instruments, including real drums. Quantum Fantay might be my favorite band today in the style. They continue to improve and add much needed energy and innovation to the space rock genre - a genre that I'm prone to enjoy in any case. The name was intended to be Q…